An all volunteer group of 45+ community minded members, The El Capitan Stadium Association (ECSA), a 501 (c) 3 non-profit, has been dedicated to providing support to the Youth of Lakeside, CA for over 56 years through the 8 acre rodeo facility and as the host of the Annual Lakeside Rodeo.
Rodeo actually has a long history in the Lakeside community as featured pop-up community events starting in 1920 when trains and buggies would transport visitors to the resort area of East County San Diego, a paradise with the lovely Lindo Lake and the historic Lakeside Inn. Throughout the following 25+ years a more formalized community rodeo was held often until commercial growth forced the original arena to close. (Rodeo History in Lakeside, CA)
Bringing Back the Legacy of Rodeo
The organization El Capitan Stadium Association formalized in 1964 to build a new permanent rodeo facility to continuously provide funding for the Youth of Lakeside. The all volunteer El Capitan Stadium Association (ECSA or "The Association") remains the parent host of the "Premier Rodeo of Southern California", The Annual Lakeside Rodeo. Since 1964 the ECSA members continue to donate their efforts throughout the year as hands-on volunteer administrators as well as liaisons of the fundraising facility.
Rodeo is a Community Event
Lakeside is a community of 22,064 residents located 22 miles east of San Diego. In April of each year, 300+ residents (students, teachers, community leaders, business owners, supporters) volunteer at the Annual Lakeside Rodeo as this event is a major fundraiser for the ECSA.
- The proceeds from this annual event and annual rental earnings of the Rodeo facilities are donated back into the Youth community. In our 56+ year history, it is estimated that ECSA has provided in excess of $5.8 million in support of the Youth of Lakeside.
- In 2019, ECSA donated over $150,000 in funds to local youth, teachers, schools, and community Youth leaders. Annually, over $7,000 in scholarships are awarded by ECSA to Lakeside Youth.
- Encouragement Awards at the Junior High level are awarded to compel recognized at-risk students to complete high school.
- Annually, El Capitan High School Seniors can apply for scholarships to trade schools and college.
- Lakeside Rodeo also provides the facility at no cost for Youth events such as 4H and FFA week long Junior Fair
- The ECSA host the Annual FREE Breakfast with Santa which provides a free holiday celebration for the entire community.
- The building and grounds are often used by Youth groups at no cost, or for a nominal fee, for banquets, testing, education programs, agriculture events, fundraising and community meetings.
For example: The facility is donated for 30 days in May of each year to the Youth group, Eastern San Diego Junior Fair, to facilitate the Annual Junior Fair in which 4H and FFA students showcase their agriculture and animal projects.
Examples of funded requests are for band/sports/arts uniforms, band instruments, books, computers, adaptive aids, playground equipment, gardening projects, funding to a local health clinic for under served Youth, installation and maintenance of playing fields at elementary through high school locations, community field lights, swimming pool facility and sports equipment, the arts of theater, dance, and choir. Lakeside Rodeo also supports Special Needs programs in our community as well as an Exceptional Kids Rodeo held on the Sunday of our Annual rodeo event.
- In 2019, the all-volunteer ECSA membership of 45+ donated over 5,300 combined hours in service to ECSA and the Youth of Lakeside.
The Rodeo buildings and grounds are an important fundraiser venue for the Youth of Lakeside and are available for public rental 10 months of the year. The facility has an air conditioned main hall equipped with a full kitchen, a professional arena that stands in the glow of a State-of-the-Art Marquee and plenty of parking available. The Lakeside Rodeo grounds and buildings provide a low cost venue for your events.
When Does ECSA/Lakeside Rodeo Meet?
The El Capitan Stadium Association general membership and interested parties meet the first and third Wednesdays of the month at the Lakeside Rodeo Grounds main building located at 12584 Mapleview St., Lakeside, CA, at 7 PM.
In those meetings, students, kids and coaches, teachers, school administrators, youth community leaders and youth clubs formally present their requests for funding for projects and/or services.
How do I join Lakeside Rodeo and ECSA?
Simply show up on one of the scheduled general meetings at 7 PM at the Rodeo main building, sign in as a guest and, when recognized, express your interest and/or ask to join in. You get to help out when you are available during the facility maintenance work parties, to co-liaison at events and work during Rodeo. After a set period of time and your consistent meeting attendance, you earn the right to Vote on funding requests and elections!
We have to admit, just like any group we have differences of opinions, diversity in attitudes and each of us has different talents... but what we all have in common is the sincere belief that we are working hard for the youth of our community in Lakeside.
For more information about joining the Association or to Volunteer... call (619) 561-4331